Preparedness and Training
The California Specialized Training Institute was established in 1971. Over the last 34 years, CSTI has emerged as a leader in emergency management, terrorism/WMD, and hazardous materials training and exercises.
As the Training and Exercise Branch for the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services, CSTI:
California’s Leader in Professional Emergency Management Training and Exercises
- Pioneered disaster management and emergency response training in California, which provided the early foundation for the State’s current Standardized Emergency Management System (SEMS) and the National Incident Management System (NIMS).
- Developed first-of-its-kind training, now in use throughout California, many parts of our nation, and at various international locations.
- Designed a comprehensive training curriculum with nearly 100 current course titles in terrorism awareness, prevention, and response; law enforcement tactics and safety; emergency management; disaster planning, mitigation, response and recovery; crisis communications; and hazardous materials/WMD preparedness and response.
- Employs nationally recognized adjunct instructors, guest speakers, subject matter experts, and curriculum designers to support the full-time faculty and staff in the development and delivery of vital life safety and emergency management training and exercises.
- Convenes a curriculum advisory committee consisting of a wide spectrum of public and private representatives to regularly update its curriculum.
- Trains between 7000 and 9000 emergency management and first responder professionals each year and an additional several thousand professionals through our outreach-training program.
- Provides a statewide training forum and one of the largest professional networks for emergency managers and first responders in California.
- Maintains a steadfast commitment to protect lives through innovative and practical hands-on training and exercises for field emergency response personnel.